Well, today at clinic was the real deal, where the rubber meets the road. I found out several things which I will share with you:
- First, the Leukemia is back and growing daily!
- Second, my platelets were low again, after a transfusion on Tuesday and I needed more.
- Third, there are no more chemo therapy treatments available to me to fight this.
- Fourth, my doctor presented me with two choices, yes, you heard me right, I got to make a choice (continue to read this only if you want to see the hand of God working in my life - not to mention the result of massive prayers!!!)
- My first choice was to do nothing and get my affairs in order.
- My second choice was to take part in a new study offered to a select few.
As you might expect, I am not ready to give up on this life just yet, so I chose to participate in the study. It is available to only 44 individuals nation wide and only to those where all conventional treatments for Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) has failed. I am to take a medicine, AT HOME, called Suberoylanilide Hydroxamic Acid (SAHA), two capsules three times daily. Yes, they do have potential side effects such as lowered blood counts, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea, changes in how things taste, and abdominal pain. However, it is my last medical chance at conquering this AML and best of all, I will take the medicine AT HOME!!!!
To date, they have had mixed results from this study. Some of the participants received no benefit what so ever, some saw marginal success and they said that one patient's cancer went into remission. The drug is not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for general use, only available for this research study. I am allowed to drop out of this study at any time if it becomes to difficult.
Also, due to my platelets not holding up as long, I will once again have to go to Madison twice a week for transfusions.
I don't know what will come from my participation, but I stand fast in my faith and the healing powers of God!!!
I would ask all of you faithful prayer warriors, in the coming week(s), to pray:
- Pray that this medicine sends my cancer into remission permanently.
- Pray that if the medicine isn't Gods answer, then that He would heal me through devine means.
- Pray that no matter how this turns out I will continue to seek his will and not my own.
- Praise for the extended time I have with my family AT HOME.
- Praise for the strength of the Doctors and nurses who continue to treat me with compassion.
- Praise for the continued support from our friends and family at Church, Gene's work, Gene's National Guard Unit and our neighbors.
Pray that I will be able to withstand what ever discomfort this new medicine may bring.
- Pray that I don't waste time complaining and focus on living life to it's fullest giving God all of the glory and honor.
I rejoice in the cards, e-mails, phone calls and visits I have received. They have provided me with many blessings and internal strength to continue to fight.
Please take some time during this next week to stop and pray for me and my family just 5 minutes. I believe as I hope and pray you all do that there is power in prayer and that God hears each and everyone.
Thank you all for your continued support and love over these difficult times.
Love in Christ