Wednesday, July 12, 2006

12 Jul 2006

Dear Friends and Family,

Sorry it has been so long since I've written. The bone marrow biopsy done in May came back with no signs of acute leukemia. Praise the Lord! We don't have the DNA results yet. I go to the Dr. again the 18th. It has been almost a month since I've had an appointment-another milestone. I am only taking 3 medicines daily and one Mon. Wed. and Fri. She lessened the amount of immune suppressants I take-another milestone. I feel good most of the time. I still have stomach aches and diaherrea, although not as frequently as I used to. I tire easily and am still weak in my upper body. I walk a mile and a half a day so my legs are pretty strong. It doesn't do much for my upper body though.

I have to stay out of the sun, since I am on an immune suppressant, I also have to be careful not to be around sick people, but no more wearing a mask. I have to wear a special mask and gloves to garden, I am leaving that up to Emily, I have had enough masks.

I went to Nebraska for my sisters wedding in June. I was really tired coming back, I even took the wheelchair at the airport-at my sisters insistance. My sister Sandy and brother Chuck were here last week, we had a great time. I wore down by Wed. though. I need to learn a balance of resting and going. I probably never will learn the resting part. It is hard to see something that needs done and not do it. The Dr. was amazed at my progress in such a short time. It will take a year to fully recover, that means I still have 7 months to milk this thing. Too bad I'm too impatient I want to be recovered yesterday.

The stem cell transplant is the cure. I should not have to have anymore treatments, unless the leukemia comes back. Then we would start over again. I am fully convinced that I am totally cancer free and will remain that way. I am a walking miracle. When I was first diagnosed the Dr. said if I didn't have any treatment I would live a couple more months. I am so thankful for the treatment and for my sister donating the stem cells to save my life.

I am having trouble eating, everything tastes salty to me. I still force myself to eat though. I have lost about 50 lbs. I don't recommmend the weight loss plan though. The Dr. said I could not loose any more weight.

Over all I feel great! My family has been a great support through all this, and I am truly thankful. The next 7 months can't go fast enough for me though. I have worn out my patience while in the hospital.

Oh, I have had trouble going up to the hospital to visit the nurses, it is attached to the Dr. office. When I would go up there I felt as if I was going to vomit. The last Dr. appt. I had I went up to see a lady from church who has cancer, My next appt. she will be up there again and I told her I would go and see her. Maybe that was the purpose for my leukemia. It is getting easier to go back to the hospital-JUST TO VISIT !

Last week I gave up wearing hats. My hair is about 1/2"long and very curly. I look like a poodle, It is nice to go without a hat , they were starting to get hot.

May God Bless all of you who have helped us along the way by your various acts of loving kindness such as daily praying, letters, cards, meals, visits ect. your constant devotion was a source of great encouragement for the whole family.


Cheryl and Family

No comments: